Invest in new technology that will double the nutritional value of grain harvests worldwide


Only 30% of most plants grown for food, such as corn, wheat and sugar cane is actually used for consumption. The other 70% of the plant is considered unfit for consumption and discarded as waste. In the U.S. alone, farmers must dispose of more than 75 billion tons of wheat straw per year. Unprocessed straw from all grains is considered a waste product because there is no method to transform certain nutrient molecules in the straw to digestible feed or biofuel. Older processes used to extract the nutrients are available but are not cost-effective.


The U.S. patent pending Straw Popper processes crop residue into highly nutritional animal feed, fertilizer, and raw materials for generation of biofuel and paper. Straw Popper will dramatically increase the grower’s nutritional yield per crop.


Straw Popper is a 100% natural process which unlocks nutritional value from wheat straw, corn husks, rice straw, sugar cane, etc. Straw Popper works by inserting chopped wet straw into an apparatus which compresses and heats the material. Long chain cellulose molecules in the straw are broken, releasing the nutrients. Straw Popper requires only the addition of water and does not require any chemicals, enzymes or other additives. Also, dried Straw Popper processed straw has a very long shelf life.


Straw Popper technology and machinery have been developed and will be available for industry once larger-scale versions have been manufactured and tested. An existing Straw Popper prototype machine produces 675 kg of processed straw in eight hours. Investment dollars will be used to develop a commercial machine capable of producing 1,350 kg of processed straw in eight hours.


Straw Popper pilot machinery can process 450 kg of wheat straw per day into product with three times the nutritional value of hay. Wheat straw sugar levels increase dramatically during Straw Popper processing which allows the product to be used in ethanol production at 20% of the cost of wheat grain.

Conservative revenue projections are $1.5 million, $15 million and $30 million over the next three years. Food Harvest Sciences seeks $2.5 million in funding to develop, manufacture and test Straw Popper machines in 900 kg, 2,700 kg, and 9,000 kg capacities for industrial application.


Straw Popper increases the consumability and digestibility of straw

The low digestibility of unprocessed wheat straw limits its use in livestock diets. Straw Popper technology improves digestibility so that wheat straw can be used in livestock rations. The value of the straw may be enhanced threefold.

Tests show that after processing, sugars, protein, nitrogen and other growth enhancing elements are released and lactic acid bacteria multiplies dramatically. The increase in lactic acid adds nutrients such as Vitamin B complex, amino acids, protein, etc.

Straw Popper also increases the surface area of wheat straw. The documented enhanced growth of bacteria on processed straw suggests it may be a good substrate for cellulose-based ethanol production, thus providing a huge cost advantage over the more expensive grains currently used.


Straw Popper processed straw is an ideal medium for lactic acid bacterial growth. During a period of 10-12 days, bacteria growth is in the range of 10 to the 8th power of colony forming units, or about the same amount of bacteria that would grow in milk, in serum milk, or in commercial bacterial growth media.

Solubility testing results of unprocessed straw compared with Straw Popper processed straw



Soluble fraction is completely utilized by the animal. Degradable fraction utilization is based on the rate of degradation and passage rate through the animal. Undegradable fraction cannot be utilized by the animal.

Test results provided August 21, 2015 by Bar Diamond, Inc., Parma, Idaho, USA.


Nutritional testing results of unprocessed straw compared with Straw Popper processed straw


Nutritional value comparison
Test results show that bacteria growth is 10,000 times greater on processed Wheat Straw then on Grass Hay. Very conservative calculations show that processed Wheat Straw has 2-1/2 to 3 times better nutritional value then Grass Hay.

Beneficial bacteria growth comparison


Bottom Line


Unprocessed straw is approximately 5 times less expensive than grass hay but has nominal nutritional value. Straw Popper processed wheat straw is nutritionally equal to grass hay. When beneficial bacteria are added, Straw Popper processed wheat straw has 3 times more nutritional value than grass hay, making the return for this product 15 times the cost for unprocessed straw.


This result proves that Straw Popper processed wheat straw is a lucrative commodity. Ready for scale-up to commercial success, Straw Popper technology is a solid investment opportunity.